The fashionable house completed for wealthy Portland broker A. H. Maegly in Arlington Heights overlooking downtown Portland in 1915 is the foremost example of Oregon architecture clearly influenced by the Prairie School — Frank Lloyd Wright and his followers. It was designed by John V. Bennes, who received his early training in Illinois and whose admiration for the Prairie School architects was well known. With its tile roofs and ornament taken from the Italian Renaissance, Bennes 1 design is Mediterranean in spirit, but its slab-like roof overhangs, the Wrightian decorative brackets, the cantilevered second story bays, and the strong horizontal emphasis created by ribbon windows and tile string course and frieze are stylistic characteristics of Prairie School architecture. Source: National Register Nomination., National Register of Historic Places (Listed, 1981)
National Register of Historic Places (Listed, 2015), The Otto and Verdell Rutherford House, a modest bungalow that served as a family home and support center for civil rights causes for more than half a century, is believed to be the first historic property in Oregon listed primarily for its association with the Civil Rights Movement. It was home to three generations of the Rutherford family, each of which was active in civil rights in Portland. William Rutherford and his brother Henry moved to Portland from Columbia, South Carolina in 1897 to work as barbers in the prestigious Portland Hotel. In 1923 William moved into the 1905 house on Shaver Street in the King neighborhood of Albina. Here William and his wife Lottie raised their four children, including their third son Otto, instilling in them a love of community and respect for education and hard work. Otto and Verdell moved back into the family home upon their marriage in 1936 and began their life of activism. A high point in their careers occurred in 1953, when Oregon’s Public Accommodations Act, under the sponsorship of then Representative Mark O. Hatfield, was passed. This landmark legislation occurred when Otto Rutherford was president of the Portland Branch of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) and Verdell was secretary, positions they held for several years. The Rutherford house, where Otto and Verdell raised their three children, was the location of much organizing for civil rights in the 1940s and 1950s, as well as being the first home of the NAACP Credit Union. In later years, the Rutherfords worked arduously to document the history of the African American community in Portland. This collection, donated by daughter Charlotte Rutherford, is now housed in Portland State University’s Special Collections & University Archives. The Rutherfords also participated as community historians in the Bosco-Milligan Foundation’s inventory of African American properties in Portland in the late 1990s. Otto died in 2000 and Verdell followed shortly thereafter, in 2001. The house is still held by the family. Source: Oregon State Historic Preservation Office.
National Register of Historic Places (Listed, 2015), The Madras Army Air Field North Hangar, constructed on the former Madras Army Air Base three miles northwest of the city of Madras, Oregon, is significant for its role in the mobilization and training of pilots from the U.S. Army Second and Fourth Air Forces during World War II. The Air Field was constructed in 1943 to accommodate bombardment squadrons and training for B-17 Bomber pilots. The rapid transformation of empty wheat fields into a fully-functioning air field and base stands as one of few local reminders of one of the nation’s outstanding war-time emergency projects. The North Hangar is also significant under as a rare, intact example of a World War II-era military aircraft hangar. The use of wood construction reflects the local environment, incorporating regionally abundant and inexpensive materials while meeting the Army’s demands for efficient construction. Relatively untouched except for early exterior changes following the war period, the hangar retains extremely high integrity, with the original materials and features still present and maintaining an exceptional association with its original setting due to continued aviation operations on the site.
This distinctive Craftsman style house has retained the structural integrity and stylized elements, and it was originally built for Malcolm McDonald, founder of the Oregon Nursey Company and the community of Orenco.
The DeGuire-Ludowitzki House, built about 1907, is a locally notable example of a modest Colonial Revival-style residence in the foursquare form. Foursquare homes are generally two stories tall with four relatively equally-sized rooms on each floor arranged around an entry and stair. Foursquare residences were a flexible house type and could exhibit a number of styles, including Colonial Revival, which drew inspiration from classical architecture. The DeGuire-Ludowitzki House exhibits the style though the symmetrical placement of windows and doors with decorative trim, round wood Doric columns supporting the wrap-around porch, corner boards, and wide fascia at the roofline. Charles Francis DeGuire, who was the son of one of Silverton’s established families, constructed the home. He later sold the residence to German immigrant and local builder John Ludowitzki and his wife Mary. The house remained in the Ludowitzki family after their death until 1938., National Register of Historic Places (Listed, 2015)