Constructed in 1918 using Carnegie Corporation grant funds, the brick Colonial Revival-style Arleta Branch Library, more recently known as the Wikman Building, was designed by well-known Portland architect Folger Johnson. The Arleta Branch Library is one of thirty-one Carnegie libraries built in Oregon, and one of seven built in the Portland area during the 1910s and early 1920s. Its Colonial Revival style is typical of this period of architecture in general, as well as reflective of Carnegie Corporation guidelines for library design. The Arleta Branch Library was the sixth Carnegie library to be constructed as part of the Library Association of Portland’s (now Multnomah County’s) branch library system and served its surrounding community through 1971 when city library services were centralized. Source: Oregon State Historic Preservation Office.