Crown Mills, a large scale flour mill, was operated by the Balfour, Guthrie and Company from its construction in 1910 through 1949, when it was sold to the Centennial Milling Company. The mill played an important role in the development history of the Pacific Northwest wheat trade. Balfour Guthrie, a Scottish-based shipping concern, was a significant player in the history of wheat and milling, as well as in the history of the development of the Port of Portland as an international shipping point. Balfour Guthrie built Crown Mills in 1910 to support its own wheat export trade and then enlarged and improved the facility over the next the four decades. Source: HAER document/, Leland S. Rosener developed the plans for the first phase of Crown Mills. Subsequent architects included Morris H. Whitehouse, Jacques A. Fouilhoux, Ernest B. MacNaughton, Lee H. Hoffman, and their associated firms.