Building Oregon

Theodore Roosevelt Junior High School (Eugene, Oregon)

Title
Theodore Roosevelt Junior High School (Eugene, Oregon)
LC Subject
Architecture, American Architecture
Creator
Wolff, George M. Phillips, Truman E. Wolff & Phillips
Creator Display
George Melville Wolff (architect, 1898-1959) Truman E. Phillips (architect, 1902-1989) Wolff & Phillips (architecture firm, 1941-1952)
Description
The 1949–1950 International Style Roosevelt Junior High (Middle) School, in Eugene, Lane County, Oregon, was designed by Portland architects Wolff and Phillips. Built to its current configuration over a period of years, it replaced the 1924 Roosevelt Junior High, which was converted to Condon Elementary School in 1953 and is now owned by the University of Oregon, known as Agate Hall. The subject school is representative of the community’s response to post-World War II population growth as well as the changing architectural trends of the mid-twentieth century. The building was razed in 2016 and replaced by a new school building, Roosevelt Middle School. This image is included in Building Oregon: Architecture of Oregon and the Pacific Northwest, a digital collection which provides documentation about the architectural heritage of the Pacific Northwest.
View
interior
Temporal
1950-1959
Work Type
architecture (object genre) built works
Date
1949/1950
Identifier
OR_LaneCo_RooseveltMS_00XX.tif
Rights
Educational Use Permitted
Rights Holder
The image is provided here by the Oregon State Historic Preservation Office and the University of Oregon Libraries to facilitate scholarship, research, and teaching. For other uses, contact the State Historic Preservation Office. Please credit photographer and the Oregon State Historic Preservation Office when using this image.
Source
Carter, Liz. Theodore Roosevelt Junior High School, Eugene, Oregon, 1949-2016. Heritage Research Associates Report No. 412, March 2016. Eugene, Oregon, 2016.
Type
Image
Format
image/tiff
Set
Building Oregon
Primary Set
Building Oregon
Institution
University of Oregon
Note
This image is included in Building Oregon: Architecture of Oregon and the Pacific Northwest, a digital collection which provides documentation about the architectural heritage of the Pacific Northwest.