Building Oregon

Crown Mills (Portland, Oregon)

Title
Crown Mills (Portland, Oregon)
LC Subject
Architecture, American Architecture Flour mills
Alternative
Centennial Mills (Portland, Oregon) Feed Mill, Crown Mills (Portland, Oregon)
Creator
Rosener, Leland S.
Creator Display
Leland S. Rosener (engineer, 1872-1963)
Description
Crown Mills, a large scale flour mill, was operated by the Balfour, Guthrie and Company from its construction in 1910 through 1949, when it was sold to the Centennial Milling Company. The mill played an important role in the development history of the Pacific Northwest wheat trade. Balfour Guthrie, a Scottish-based shipping concern, was a significant player in the history of wheat and milling, as well as in the history of the development of the Port of Portland as an international shipping point. Balfour Guthrie built Crown Mills in 1910 to support its own wheat export trade and then enlarged and improved the facility over the next the four decades. Source: HAER document/ Leland S. Rosener developed the plans for the first phase of Crown Mills. Subsequent architects included Morris H. Whitehouse, Jacques A. Fouilhoux, Ernest B. MacNaughton, Lee H. Hoffman, and their associated firms.
View
interior: Feed Mill, fourth floor, grain cleaning equipment
Temporal
1910-1919
Work Type
architecture (object genre) built works industrial buildings warehouses flour mills
Latitude
45.5339241
Longitude
-122.6826089
Location
Portland >> Clackamas County >> Oregon >> Pacific Northwest Multnomah County >> Oregon >> Pacific Northwest
Street Address
1362 Northwest Naito Parkway
Date
1910
View Date
2015
Identifier
HAER-OR-184-018.tif
Rights
In Copyright - Educational Use Permitted
Source
Crown Mills, Portland, Oregon, Historic American Engineering Record Written Historical and Descriptive Data, Photographs, HAER No. OR-184. Prepared by Heritage Research Associates, Eugene, Oregon, 2016. Seattle: National Park Service, 2016.
Type
Image
Format
image/tiff
Set
Building Oregon
Primary Set
Building Oregon
Institution
University of Oregon
Note
This image is included in Building Oregon: Architecture of Oregon and the Pacific Northwest, a digital collection which provides documentation about the architectural heritage of the Pacific Northwest.