Building Oregon

Earl Apartments (Portland, Oregon)

Title
Earl Apartments (Portland, Oregon)
LC Subject
Architecture, American Architecture--United States
Description
This image is included in Building Oregon: Architecture of Oregon and the Pacific Northwest, a digital collection which provides documentation about the architectural heritage of the Pacific Northwest.
View
Document: Portland Historic Resource Inventory
Provenance
Design Library, University of Oregon Libraries
Temporal
1900-1909
Style Period
Craftsman (style)
Work Type
architecture (object genre) built works views (visual works) exterior views dwellings apartment houses
Location
Portland >> Clackamas County >> Oregon >> Pacific Northwest Multnomah County >> Oregon >> Pacific Northwest Oregon >> Pacific Northwest United States
Date
1906
Identifier
pna_99999
Rights
Educational Use Permitted
Type
Image
Format
application/pdf
Set
Building Oregon
Primary Set
Building Oregon
Is Part Of
Alphabet Historic District (Portland, Oregon)
Institution
University of Oregon
Citation
Alphabet Historic District National Register Nomination
Note
"Description: These four multi-family residences have rectilinear plans and front onto NW Glisan Street. Originally detached, they were minimally connected via a breezeway at the rear entrance locations at an unknown date. The buildings have wood frames, concrete foundations, and partial above-grade basements. The hip roofs have overhanging eaves and paneled friezes. Hipped dormers are located on the south facades. Lap siding and corner boards cover the exteriors. The main entrances are located on the south facades. Each full-facade porch is topped with a balcony and features Tuscan columns and turned balusters. The doors are slightly recessed and have leaded-glass lights. There are additional entrances on the west facades through three-light wood doors. The predominant window type is one-over-one, double-hung wood sash. On the east facade, there are oriel windows supported by brackets. The external brick chimneys have corbeled tops. Significance: This property was owned for nearly 12 years by leading Portland merchant and banker, Herman "Joe" Hirschberg. A native of Germany, Hirschberg taught himself English by subscribing to the Oregonian. In 1919, Hirschberg, already a prosperous merchant, organized and became president of the Independence National Bank, which later became the First National Bank. These four buildings are considered to be contributing within the district as good examples of Craftsman style multi-family residences and are therefore significant as part of the larger grouping of residential development that occurred in the Northwest neighborhood." Source: National Register nomination.