Building Oregon

2353 Hoyt Apartments (Portland, Oregon)

Title
2353 Hoyt Apartments (Portland, Oregon)
LC Subject
Architecture, American Architecture--United States
Alternative
Twenty-three Fifty-three Hoyt Street Apartments (Portland, Oregon)
Description
This image is included in Building Oregon: Architecture of Oregon and the Pacific Northwest, a digital collection which provides documentation about the architectural heritage of the Pacific Northwest.
View
Oregon Inventory of Historic Properties. Historic Resource Survey Form. County: Multnomah
Provenance
Design Library, University of Oregon Libraries
Temporal
1900-1909
Style Period
Craftsman (style)
Work Type
architecture (object genre) built works views (visual works) exterior views dwellings
Location
Portland >> Clackamas County >> Oregon >> Pacific Northwest Multnomah County >> Oregon >> Pacific Northwest Oregon >> Pacific Northwest United States
Street Address
2353-2359 Northwest Hoyt Street
Date
1905
Identifier
icon_264.jpg; icon
Rights
Educational Use Permitted
Rights Holder
Oregon State Historic Preservation Office
Source
Oregon State Historic Preservation Office, http://www.oregon.gov/OPRD/HCD/SHPO/
Type
Image
Format
application/pdf
Set
Building Oregon
Primary Set
Building Oregon
Is Part Of
Alphabet Historic District (Portland, Oregon)
Institution
University of Oregon
Citation
Alphabet Historic District National Register Nomination
Note
"Description: This wood frame duplex has a rectilinear plan and fronts onto the north side of NW Hoyt Street. It is a two and one-half story structure with a concrete and stucco foundation and a gable roof with hip dormers and composition shingles. The porch has large, rectangular posts with a decorative head, a classic entablature, and pilasters. The beveled-glass entrance door is surrounded by six lights. The predominant window type is one-over-one, double-hung wood sash. Double-hinged, leaded-glass bay windows supported by brackets are located on the west side of the front elevation and on the west elevation of the first and second stories. Other decorative features include deep eaves with modillions, a full balcony over the porch, and two sets of French doors. At the rear of the house, vertical siding was added to the first story of the east elevation at an unknown date. Two solid doors were added, also at an unknown date. Significance: This house was once the residence of Harry Campion. A native of Portland, Campion was employed by the Oregon Railway and Navigation Company railroad. He advanced to the position of agent, and then to traveling auditor. In 1909, he became a superintendent for the Port of Portland and served as a successful and well-known purchasing agent for the port. Campion was a charter member of the Breakfast Club. He was also involved with the Purchasing Agents Association of Oregon and the Knights of Columbus. This building is considered to be contributing within the district as a good example of a Craftsman/Colonial Revival style residence and is therefore significant as part of the larger grouping of residential development that occurred in the Northwest Portland area." Source: National Register nomination. This image was included in the documentation to support a nomination to the National Register of Historic Places, a program of the National Park Service. The image is provided here by the Oregon State Historic Preservation Office and the University of Oregon Libraries to facilitate scholarship, research, and teaching. For other uses, such as publication, contact the State Historic Preservation Office. Please credit the Oregon State Historic Preservation Office when using this image.