Building Oregon

1955 Hoyt Apartments

Title
1955 Hoyt Apartments
LC Subject
Architecture, American Architecture--United States
Alternative
Apartments, Northwest Hoyt Street Apartment No. 1955 (Portland, Oregon)
Description
This image is included in Building Oregon: Architecture of Oregon and the Pacific Northwest, a digital collection which provides documentation about the architectural heritage of the Pacific Northwest.
View
information record
Provenance
Design Library, University of Oregon Libraries
Temporal
1920-1929
Work Type
architecture (object genre) built works views (visual works) exterior views dwellings
Latitude
45.527149
Longitude
-122.691492
Location
Portland >> Clackamas County >> Oregon >> West >> United States Multnomah County >> Oregon >> West >> United States Oregon >> West >> United States United States
Street Address
1955 Northwest Hoyt Street
Date
1925
Identifier
icon_395.jpg; icon
Rights
Educational Use Permitted
Rights Holder
Oregon State Historic Preservation Office
Source
Oregon State Historic Preservation Office, http://www.oregon.gov/OPRD/HCD/SHPO/
Type
Image
Format
application/pdf
Set
Building Oregon
Primary Set
Building Oregon
Is Part Of
Alphabet Historic District (Portland, Oregon)
Institution
University of Oregon
Note
"Description: This two and one-half story apartment building has a U-shaped plan surrounding a central courtyard and is located on the north side of NW Hoyt Street. It has a rusticated, concrete block foundation and a wood frame covered in stucco. The roof is gabled, with a curvilinear parapet. A nine-pane oculus window and two shed dormers can be found on this parapet. The predominant window type is four-over-one, double-hung wood sash. A projecting, arched opening shelters a tiled vestibule. The main entrance has a solid wooden door with six lights, an arched head, and a metal lantern in the center. Wood belt courses run between the first and second story, as well as between the first floor and the basement. In 1985, the apartment building was reroofed. Significance; This property was originally owned by Lee H. Hoffman, a principal in the construction company Hoffman & Bates, who advertised themselves as "Bridge Builders and General Contractors." They were credited with supervision of the Morrison Street Bridge, which opened in 1887. They also constructed the Bull Run pipeline from the Mt. Hood area to Portland. This building is considered to be contributing within the district as a good example of a large-scale apartment complex designed in the Spanish Colonial Revival style and is therefore significant as part of the larger grouping of residential development that occurred in the Northwest Portland area." Source: National Register nomination. This image was included in the documentation to support a nomination to the National Register of Historic Places, a program of the National Park Service. The image is provided here by the Oregon State Historic Preservation Office and the University of Oregon Libraries to facilitate scholarship, research, and teaching. For other uses, such as publication, contact the State Historic Preservation Office. Please credit the Oregon State Historic Preservation Office when using this image.