Building Oregon

Green Mountain Lookout (Darrington, Washington)

Title
Green Mountain Lookout (Darrington, Washington)
LC Subject
Architecture, American Architecture--United States
Description
National Register of Historic Places (Listed, 1988)
View
Document: National Register of Historic Places Nomination
Provenance
Design Library, University of Oregon Libraries
Temporal
1930-1939 1950-1959
Work Type
architecture (object genre) built works views (visual works) exterior views towers (single built works) watchtowers lookouts
Location
Town of Darrington >> Washington >> United States Snoqualmie National Forest >> King County >> Washington >> United States Darrington Ranger District >> Snohomish County >> Washington >> United States Washington >> United States United States
Date
1933 1950
View Date
1986-08
Identifier
pna_20212.pdf
Rights
In Copyright - Educational Use Permitted
Rights Holder
Oregon State Historic Preservation Office
Type
Text
Format
application/pdf
Set
Building Oregon
Primary Set
Building Oregon
Institution
University of Oregon
Citation
Green Mountain Lookout, National Register of Historic Places Registration Form, 1988.
Note
Green Mountain Lookout Is an intact example of a somewhat transitional Plan L-4 Lookout House which exhibits both the fenestration typical of the earlier L-4 gable roof ("grange hall") style lookouts and the hipped-roof configuration of the revised 1932 Plan L-4. One of the oldest remaining fire lookouts on the Forest to have been constructed with the revised hipped-roof configuration, it represents an essential part of a fire detection and suppression system which functioned for over 50 years to protect and conserve our timber resources. This Lookout also represents a uniquely functional building type which was specifically designed for construction in such isolated and challenging environments as Green Mountain. Green Mountain Lookout also possesses historical associations with domestic defense during World War II due to its role as part of the U.S. Army Aircraft Warning Service. This image was included in the documentation to support a nomination to the National Register of Historic Places, a program of the National Park Service. The image is provided here by the Oregon State Historic Preservation Office and the University of Oregon Libraries to facilitate scholarship, research, and teaching. For other uses, such as publication, contact the State Historic Preservation Office. Please credit the Oregon State Historic Preservation Office when using this image.