Building Oregon

Lytle, Robert F., House (Portland, Oregon)

Lytle,
Title
Lytle, Robert F., House (Portland, Oregon)
LC Subject
Architecture, American Architecture--United States
Alternative
Robert F. Lytle House (Portland, Oregon) Lytle-Hawley House (Portland, Oregon)
Creator
Williams, David L. McHolland Brothers
Creator Display
David Lockhead Williams (architect, 1866-1937) McHolland Brothers (builder/contractor)
Description
National Register (Listed, 1983)
View
exterior: North side of Northeast Hancock Street at Northeast 22nd Avenue, camera facing east
Provenance
University of Oregon Libraries
Style Period
Colonial Revival
Work Type
architecture (object genre) built works views (visual works) exterior views districts historic districts dwellings houses facilities, commercial
Location
Portland >> Multnomah County >> Oregon >> West >> United States Multnomah County >> Oregon >> West >> United States Oregon >> West >> United States United States
Date
1911 1912
View Date
2009
Identifier
OR_Multnomah_Portland_IrvingtonHD_10.jpg
Rights
Educational Use Permitted
Rights Holder
Oregon State Historic Preservation Office
Source
Oregon State Historic Preservation Office, http://www.oregon.gov/OPRD/HCD/SHPO/
Type
Image
Format
image/jpeg
Set
Building Oregon
Primary Set
Building Oregon
Is Part Of
Irvington Historic District (Portland, Oregon)
Institution
University of Oregon
Citation
Lytle House, Irvington Home Tour, http://www.irvingtonhometour.com/NationalRegister/Lytle.shtml
Note
Opened for development in 1891, the original Irvington Plat and surrounding area is important as an early example of the influence of streetcar development and restrictive covenants in Portland’s residential neighborhoods. These influences had long-lasting impacts on the architectural character of Irvington through 1948 when most lots had been developed and the streetcar lines were replaced with gasoline buses. The extension of streetcar lines from downtown Portland to the suburban eastside of the Willamette River resulted in the use of a strict grid of streets and blocks aligned with the rails and commercial and multi-family development along heavily-traveled routes. To control land uses and guide residential development in this rapidly growing community, developers used privately -imposed and -enforced covenants. Restrictions included minimum street setbacks, establishment of baseline house values, and limits on use, among others. Similar explicit rules were later adopted in other areas, serving as a prelude to the advent of comprehensive land-use planning in early-twentieth century Portland. The district is also notable for the collection of architecturally-important residences constructed between 1891 and 1948. At least 23 prominent architects and builders designed and/or constructed buildings in the district, including Robert Beat, Frederick Bowman, Robert Rice, Edward Mautz, Ellis Lawrence, Joseph Jacobberger, H.L. Camp, Marcus Delahunt, Luther Bailey, and Henry Lambert. This image was included in the documentation to support a nomination to the National Register of Historic Places, a program of the National Park Service. The image is provided here by the Oregon State Historic Preservation Office and the University of Oregon Libraries to facilitate scholarship, research, and teaching. For other uses, such as publication, contact the State Historic Preservation Office. Please credit the Oregon State Historic Preservation Office when using this image.