Building Oregon

Owyhee Dam Historic District (Adrian, Oregon)

Title
Owyhee Dam Historic District (Adrian, Oregon)
LC Subject
Architecture, American Architecture--United States
Alternative
Owyhee Dam Historic District (Adrian, Oregon)
Description
National Register of Historic Places (Listed, 2010)
View
National Register of Historic Places Registration Form. Prepared by Jedediah S. Rogers and Christine Pfaff, Bureau of Reclamation, December 2009, revised June 2010
Temporal
1930-1939
Work Type
architecture (object genre) built works views (visual works) exterior views hydraulic structures dams (hydraulic structures)
Location
City of Adrian >> Oregon >> Pacific Northwest Malheur County Oregon >> Pacific Northwest United States
Street Address
Owyhee Lake Road, 11 miles southwest of Adrian
Date
1932
View Date
2009
Identifier
OR_Malheur_OwyheeDamHD_Nom.pdf
Rights
Educational Use Permitted
Rights Holder
Oregon State Historic Preservation Office
Source
Oregon State Historic Preservation Office, http://www.oregon.gov/OPRD/HCD/SHPO/
Type
Image
Format
application/pdf
Set
Building Oregon
Primary Set
Building Oregon
Is Part Of
Owyhee Dam Historic District (Adrian, Oregon)
Institution
University of Oregon
Note
Designed and constructed by the Bureau of Reclamation beginning in 1927, the Owyhee Dam Historic District consists of the Owyhee Dam and several dozen buildings and structures associated with the dam. These resources include a residential camp, industrial buildings, and other features that date from between the period 1927 and 1939. The district was listed in the National Register for its important and historic association with irrigated agriculture in eastern Oregon and western Idaho as part of the larger Owyhee Project. The district was also listed for its national significance for the design and construction of the Owyhee Dam, which served as a testing grounds for new dam technology and engineering. New technology first used in the Owyhee Dam later served in other Bureau of Reclamation projects, including Hoover Dam. This image was included in the documentation to support a nomination to the National Register of Historic Places, a program of the National Park Service. The image is provided here by the Oregon State Historic Preservation Office and the University of Oregon Libraries to facilitate scholarship, research, and teaching. For other uses, such as publication, contact the State Historic Preservation Office. Please credit the Oregon State Historic Preservation Office when using this image.