Building Oregon

Arlington Club (Portland, Oregon)

Title
Arlington Club (Portland, Oregon)
LC Subject
Architecture, American Architecture--United States
Creator
Whidden & Lewis Whidden, William, 1857-1929 Lewis, Ion, 1853-1933
Photographer
Heritage Consulting Group
Creator Display
Whidden & Lewis (architecture firm, 1889-1933) William Marcy Whidden (architect, 1857-1929) Ion Lewis (architect, 1858-1833)
Description
National Register of Historic Places (Listed, 2010)
View
National Register of Historic Places Registration Form. Prepared by John M. Tess, Heritage Consulting Group, Portland, Oregon, 2010
Provenance
Design Library, University of Oregon Libraries
Temporal
1910-1919
Work Type
architecture (object genre) built works views (visual works) exterior views societies' buildings
Latitude
45.517734
Longitude
-122.681826
Location
Portland >> Clackamas County >> Oregon >> Pacific Northwest Multnomah County >> Oregon >> Pacific Northwest Oregon >> Pacific Northwest United States
Street Address
811 Southwest Salmon Street
Date
1910
View Date
2010-02
Identifier
pna_99999
Item Locator
OR_Multnomah_Portland_Arlington.pdf
Rights
Educational Use Permitted
Source
Oregon State Historic Preservation Office
Type
Text
Format
application/pdf
Set
Building Oregon
Primary Set
Building Oregon
Institution
University of Oregon
Citation
Arlington Club, National Register of Historic Places Nomination, http://oregondigital.org/u?/archpnw,20525
Note
The Arlington Club was designed by notable architectural firm Whidden & Lewis in 1910 for use as an elite men’s club patterned after London’s West End gentlemen’s clubs. Nominated as a distinctive work by Whidden & Lewis and also for its association with the development boom in Portland following the Lewis and Clark Exposition, the Arlington Club served throughout the twentieth and into the twenty-first century as a center for social gatherings. The club is one of 61 historic buildings in downtown Portland built between 1906 and 1914 and identified as eligible for the National Register Source: Oregon State Historic Preservation Office.