Building Oregon

Oregon State School for the Blind (Salem, Oregon)

Title
Oregon State School for the Blind (Salem, Oregon)
LC Subject
Architecture, American Architecture--United States
Alternative
Oregon Institute for the Blind (Salem, Oregon) Oregon School for the Blind (Salem, Oregon)
Creator
Bennes, John V. Jacobberger Stanton Franks & Norman Jacobberger, Francis B. Stanton, John J. Norman, Richard W. Franks, Everett B. Legg, Frederick A. Legge, Kenneth C. Wolff & Phillips Wolff, George M. Philips, Truman E.
Creator Display
John Virginius Bennes (architect, 1867-1943) Jacobberger, Stanton, Franks, & Norman (architecture firm, 1948-1960) Frederick Arthur Legg (architect, 1869- ) Kenneth Clair Legge (architect, 1898-1989) Wolff & Phillips (architecture firm, 1942-1952) George Melville Wolff (architect, 1898-1977) Truman E. Philips (architect, 1902-1989) Francis B. Jacobberger (architect, 1898-1962) John Joseph Stanton (architect, 1895-1981) Richard W. Norman (architect)
Description
This image is included in Building Oregon: Architecture of Oregon and the Pacific Northwest, a digital collection which provides documentation about the architectural heritage of the Pacific Northwest.
View
National Register of Historic Places Registration Form. Prepared by Carin Carlson, Fletcher Farr Ayotte, Inc.
Provenance
Design Library, University of Oregon Libraries
Temporal
1920-1929 1930-1939 1950-1959
Style Period
Renaissance Revival Georgian Revival International Style (modern European architecture style)
Work Type
architecture (object genre) built works views (visual works) exterior views public schools (buildings)
Latitude
44.933241
Longitude
-123.038472
Location
Salem >> Marion County >> Oregon >> West >> United States Marion County >> Oregon >> West >> United States Oregon >> West >> United States United States
Street Address
700 Church Street Southeast
Date
1923 1950 1934/1936 1957/1958
View Date
2010-05-14
Identifier
Marion_OregonSchoolBlind_nrnom.pdf
Rights
Educational Use Permitted
Rights Holder
Oregon State Historic Preservation Office
Source
This image is provided by the Oregon Oregon State Historic Preservation Office, http://www.oregon.gov/OPRD/HCD/SHPO/ http://www.oregon.gov/OPRD/HCD/SHPO/
Type
Image
Format
application/pdf
Set
Building Oregon
Primary Set
Building Oregon
Is Part Of
Oregon Institute for the Blind (Salem, Oregon)
Institution
University of Oregon
Citation
National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form
Note
The Oregon State School for the Blind campus is 8.73 acres bound by neighboring Pringle Creek, Salem Hospital, Bush’s Pasture Park, and residential neighborhoods, south of downtown Salem. The district boundary follows the legal property line as outlined in Figure 1. The campus consists of a conglomerate of eleven separate buildings constructed and altered over the past ninety years to serve the ever-evolving mission of the residential institution. The ten contributing buildings include an administrative complex including infirmary and dining wings, two dormitories, a classroom building, a gymnasium with pool and bowling alley additions, a boiler building, and two WWII Era houses. The only non-contributing structure is a modern maintenance building. Architectural styles represented include Italian Renaissance, Georgian Revival, International, and WWII Era Cottage and Minimal Traditional. This image was included in the documentation to support a nomination to the National Register of Historic Places, a program of the National Park Service. The image is provided here by the Oregon State Historic Preservation Office and the University of Oregon Libraries to facilitate scholarship, research, and teaching. Please credit the Oregon State Historic Preservation Office when using this image. For other uses, such as publication, contact the State Historic Preservation Office.