Building Oregon

Thompson's Mills State Heritage Site (Shedd, Oregon

Title
Thompson's Mills State Heritage Site (Shedd, Oregon
LC Subject
Architecture, American Architecture--United States
Alternative
Boston Mills (Shedd, Oregon) Boston Roller Mills (Shedd, Oregon) Thompson's Fouring Mills (Shedd, Oregon) Thompson's Mills (Shedd, Oregon)
Description
This image is included in Building Oregon: Architecture of Oregon and the Pacific Northwest, a digital collection which provides documentation about the architectural heritage of the Pacific Northwest.
View
Document: Thompson's Mills State Heritage Site Master Plan, September 2006, Oregon Parks & Recreation Department, Salem, Oregon.
Provenance
University of Oregon Libraries
Temporal
1890-1899
Work Type
architecture (object genre) built works views (visual works) exterior views historic sites historic buildings industrial buildings factories (structures) mills (buildings)
Latitude
44.459745
Longitude
-123.080985
Location
Shedd >> Linn County Linn County Oregon >> Pacific Northwest United States
Street Address
32655 Boston Mill Drive
Date
1885/1895
Identifier
OR_Linn_Shedd_ThompsonsMills.pdf
Rights
Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International
Rights Holder
University of Oregon
Type
Image
Format
application/pdf
Set
Building Oregon
Primary Set
Building Oregon
Institution
University of Oregon
Note
Oregon Parks & Recredation Department’s official name for the site is Thompson’s Mills State Heritage Site. This document will refer to the site’s historic proper name using the plural, “Mills”. However in the text, it will refer to the noun, mill, as singular. “Mills” is explained by the fact there were numerous milling machines or “mills” within the single mill building. The mill went through a number of name changes over the years. The original mill builder, R.C. Finley called it Boston Mills (1858). When Martin Thompson bought the mill from the previous owner William Simmons, in 1897, he modernized it and renamed it Boston Roller Mills (referring to the mechanized rollers that were added). Some time after Martin’s son Otto took over the business in 1910 (upon Martin’s death), the name changed to Thompson’s Flouring Mills (c.1918). When Otto died in 1965, his son Myrle replaced him as manager. The name was shortened to Thompson’s Mills, reflecting the discontinuation of flour milling which occurred sometime in the mid-1940s. The products produced at the mill were sold under a variety of trade names, such as Valley Rose, Delicious Apple, Oregon Maid, Flavor, and Thompson’s Best.