Building Oregon

Fremont Powerhouse (Granite, Oregon)

Title
Fremont Powerhouse (Granite, Oregon)
LC Subject
Architecture, American Architecture--United States
Alternative
Fremont Power House (Granite, Oregon)
Photographer
Donovan, Sally
Description
National Register of Historic Places (Listed, 1993)
View
National Register of Historic Places Inventory -- Nomination Form
Provenance
University of Oregon Libraries
Temporal
1900-1909
Style Period
Rustic (European style)
Work Type
architecture (object genre) built works views (visual works) exterior views public buildings power plants architectural drawings (visual works) plans (orthographic projections) floor-plan drawings
Location
City of Granite >> Oregon >> Pacific Northwest Grant County Oregon >> Pacific Northwest United States
Street Address
Forest Road S725; Road 10
Date
1908
View Date
2009
Identifier
OR_Grant_Pendleton_Fremont.pdf
Rights
In Copyright - Educational Use Permitted
Type
Image
Format
application/pdf
Set
Building Oregon
Primary Set
Building Oregon
Institution
University of Oregon
Citation
National Register of Historic Places Registration Form
Note
The Fremont power house was constructed in 1908 and, after 59 years of continuous service, generated its last electrical power in October 1967. In 1968, the California - Pacific Utilities Company donated the entire complex to the U.S. Forest Service . The need for economic power surfaced in 1903 when the earnings of some local mines began to decrease. In an effort to operate the mines more economically, local waterpower from nearby Olive Lake was used to generate the much- needed electrical power. In 2001 the power house was restored under the direction of Command Sgt. Maj. (Ret.) Joe Batty, Oregon Army National Guard's Innovative Readiness Training Program, 3670th Maintenance Company and 1249th Engineer Battalion; and Umatilla National Forest.