Building Oregon

Bloch, Ernest, House (Newport, Oregon)

Title
Bloch, Ernest, House (Newport, Oregon)
LC Subject
Architecture, American Architecture--United States
Alternative
Sea Krest Lodge (Newport, Oregon) Ernest Bloch House (Newport, Oregon)
Description
National Register of Historic Places (Listed, 2009)
View
National Register of Historic Places Registration Form
Provenance
University of Oregon Libraries
Temporal
1910-1919
Work Type
architecture (object genre) built works views (visual works) exterior views dwellings houses plans (orthographic projections) floor-plan drawings
Latitude
44.673701
Longitude
-124.060021
Location
City of Newport >> Oregon >> West >> United States Agate Beach >> Lincoln County >> Oregon >> West >> United States Lincoln County >> Oregon >> West >> United States Oregon >> West >> United States United States
Street Address
116 Northwest Gilbert Way
Date
1914
Identifier
Lincoln_Newport_BlochHouse_doe.pdf
Rights
Educational Use Permitted
Rights Holder
Oregon State Historic Preservation Office
Source
Oregon State Historic Preservation Office, http://www.oregon.gov/OPRD/HCD/SHPO/
Type
Image
Format
application/pdf
Set
Building Oregon
Primary Set
Building Oregon
Institution
University of Oregon
Citation
National Register of Historic Places, http://www.nps.gov/nr
Note
'The Ernest Bloch House, located at 116 N.W. Gilbert Way in the Agate Beach district within the city limits of Newport in Lincoln County, Oregon, was the last residence where the notable teacher and composer Ernest Bloch lived and the only property Bloch ever owned. Although initially built in 1914 as a coastal retreat for the locally well known Asahel Bush family of Salem, Oregon, Bloch would later purchase the house and property in 194, remaining there until his death in 1959. While living at Agate Beach, Bloch undertook over twenty-five musical works, composing both in the main room of the house and in the upper floor of the garage-studio. In addition, Bloch used the lower floor of the garage-studio as a lapidary, and often walked a trail that wound down to Agate Beach. Today, the property remains relatively unchanged, and includes three contributing resources, including a house, a circa 1914 garage-studio, and a beach-access trail in its original location.'-- National Register This image was included in the documentation to support a nomination to the National Register of Historic Places, a program of the National Park Service. The image is provided here by the Oregon State Historic Preservation Office and the University of Oregon Libraries to facilitate scholarship, research, and teaching. For other uses, such as publication, contact the State Historic Preservation Office. Please credit the Oregon State Historic Preservation Office when using this image.