Building Oregon

Whiteside Theatre (Corvallis, Oregon)

Whiteside
Title
Whiteside Theatre (Corvallis, Oregon)
LC Subject
Architecture, American Architecture--United States
Creator
Ryan, Henderson McFadden & Swain
Photographer
Carol Chin
Creator Display
Henderson Ryan (architect, 1857- ) McFadden & Swain (builder/contractor)
Description
National Register of Historic Places, http://www.nps.gov/nr
View
exterior: Looking southeast at west elevation with fire escape. Ventilation chimney stands above roof height at the corner.
Provenance
University of Oregon Libraries
Temporal
1920-1929 1930-1939
Style Period
Renaissance Revival
Work Type
architecture (object genre) built works views (visual works) exterior views cultural centers (buildings) playhouses (buildings) theaters, motion picture architectural element chimneys (architectural elements)
Latitude
44.563857
Longitude
-123.262063
Location
City of Corvallis >> Oregon >> Pacific Northwest Benton County >> Oregon >> Pacific Northwest Oregon >> Pacific Northwest United States
Street Address
361 Southwest Madison Avenue
Date
1922 1936 1927/1928
View Date
2008-06
Identifier
OR_BentonCounty_WhitesideTheatre04.jpg
Rights
Educational Use Permitted
Rights Holder
Oregon State Historic Preservation Office
Source
Oregon State Historic Preservation Office, http://www.oregon.gov/OPRD/HCD/SHPO/
Type
Image
Format
image/jpeg
Set
Building Oregon
Primary Set
Building Oregon
Institution
University of Oregon
Citation
Andersen, Dennis A., "Additional Significant Seattle Architects: Ryan, Henderson", Shaping Seattle Architecture, 350, 1994.
Note
Constructed in 1922 by brothers Samuel and George Whiteside in the heart of Corvallis’s commercial core, the Whiteside Theatre was listed in the National Register of Historic Places for its distinctive design as a movie palace in the Italian Renaissance style of architecture. Designed to seat over 1,100 patrons when it first opened, the Whiteside Theatre reflected national trends in both architecture and entertainment for a movie palace at the time, including the use of triple-inset arched windows on the building’s front facade and ornate interior decoration. Although the theatre suffered two fires during its early years, the Whiteside family continued operation of the theatre until 1985. The only major alteration made to the building, a large neon marquee was added in 1950. Source: Oregon State Historic Preservation Office. This image was included in the documentation to support a nomination to the National Register of Historic Places, a program of the National Park Service. The image is provided here by the Oregon State Historic Preservation Office and the University of Oregon Libraries to facilitate scholarship, research, and teaching. For other uses, such as publication, contact the State Historic Preservation Office. Please credit the Oregon State Historic Preservation Office when using this image.