Building Oregon

Mount Crest Abbey Mausoleum (Salem, Oregon)

Title
Mount Crest Abbey Mausoleum (Salem, Oregon)
LC Subject
Architecture, American Architecture--United States
Creator
Lawrence and Holford Hurley-Mason Company
Creator Display
Lawrence & Holford (architecture firm, 1913-1928) Ellis Fuller Lawrence (architect, 1879-1946) William Gordon Holford (architect, 1878-1970) Hurley-Mason Company (builder/contractor)
Description
National Register of Historic Places (Listed, )
View
Oregon Inventory of Historic Property. Ellis Lawrence Building Inventory
Provenance
University of Oregon Libraries
Temporal
1910-1919
Style Period
Federal
Work Type
architecture (object genre) built works views (visual works) exterior views funerary buildings tombs
Latitude
44.919162
Longitude
-123.050118
Location
Salem >> Marion County >> Oregon >> Pacific Northwest Marion County >> Oregon >> Pacific Northwest Oregon >> Pacific Northwest United States
Street Address
390 Hoyt Street South
Date
1913
Identifier
pna_99999
Rights
Educational Use Permitted
Rights Holder
Oregon State Historic Preservation Office
Type
Image
Format
application/pdf
Material
concrete
Set
Building Oregon
Primary Set
Building Oregon
Institution
University of Oregon
Note
According to the Ellis Lawrence Building Inventory, "The building is a well-preserved example of historically inspired buildings of the early 1900's located in an impressive hilltop setting . The entrance columns, pilasters and pediment are original unpainted concrete . Other areas of the building have been painted . Two massive fluted columns flank tall paneled bronze doors which open onto a two story lobby . The lobby and halls contain black and white marble walls with painted upper panels depicting angels and landscapes . Decorative bronze grillwork separates . family crypts . Windows are a bronze grillwork in the "union jack" pattern . Original light fixtures are in place in the lobby and halls." Lawrence, Holford, Allyn & Bean (architectural firm) designed an addition to the building which was built in 1929. This image was included in the documentation to support a nomination to the National Register of Historic Places, a program of the National Park Service. The image is provided here by the Oregon State Historic Preservation Office and the University of Oregon Libraries to facilitate scholarship, research, and teaching. For other uses, such as publication, contact the State Historic Preservation Office. Please credit the Oregon State Historic Preservation Office when using this image.