Building Oregon

Sanborn, George F., House (Portland, Oregon)

Sanborn,
Title
Sanborn, George F., House (Portland, Oregon)
LC Subject
Architecture, American Architecture--United States
Alternative
George F. Sanborn House (Portland, Oregon) Van Schuvyer, William, House (Portland, Oregon)
Creator
Bennes Hendricks & Tobey Bennes, John V. Tobey, Willard F. Hendricks, Eric W.
Creator Display
Bennes, Hendricks & Tobey (architecture firm, 1907-1910) John V. Bennes (architect, 1867-1943) Willard Franklin Tobey (architect, 1883-1972) Eric W. Hendricks (architect, 1862- )
Description
William & Harriet van Schuyver Mansion, at: 245 North Twenty-Fifth Street, was finished in 1909 for an estimated $35,000. William JAMES van Schuyver moved to Portland in 1860. In 1864 he went into the wholesale liquor business as W.J. van Schuyver & CO., becoming one of the leading whiskey distributors on the Pacific Coast, at: 63 Front Street. In 1865 William married Harriet Angell van Schuyver. On January 7, 1909 William James van Schuyver died suddenly at age 74 just before his new Mansion was ready for occupancy. He died at his home close by at: 835 Lovejoy St. (now: 2487 N.W. Lovejoy St. Home still standing). Imported draperies, hangings and carpets had already been installed at the new Mansion at a cost of $6,000. On February 13, 1909 it was announced the Mansion was purchased in cash by George Frederick Sanborn for $50,000. He and his brother A.W. Sanborn had formed the Sanborn CO., a lumber & timber concern. In 1896 G.F. Sanborn married Mayme Slattery Sanborn. On December 5, 1912 Harriet Angell van Schuyver died at age 71. In 1932 the address changed to: 1111 N.W. 25th Ave. On April 17, 1943 George Frederick Sanborn died at age 72. In January 1950 the Mansion became Finley’s Rest Home. Then Stewart’s Nursing Home. In March 1960 it became Allison Nursing Home. By 1979 it had become Hill House, part of the Gutman rehabilitation program. In September 1979 the Mansion was renovated into a condominium called the Sanborn House and it still is today.” – Source: Craig Addams, Dead Memories Portland.
View
exterior: view, c. 1908
Provenance
University of Oregon Libraries
Temporal
1900-1909
Style Period
Craftsman (style)
Work Type
architecture (object genre) built works views (visual works) exterior views dwellings houses
Latitude
45.530597
Longitude
-122.702777
Location
Portland >> Multnomah County >> Oregon >> West >> United States Multnomah County >> Oregon >> West >> United States Oregon >> West >> United States United States
Street Address
1111 Northwest 25th Avenue
Date
1909
View Date
1909
Identifier
2008_VRC_07781
Rights
Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International
Rights Holder
University of Oregon
Source
Portland Architectural Club; Second Annual Exhibition in the Galleries of the Museum of Fine Arts, March 22 to April 10, 1909 . Portland, Oregon: Irwin-Hodson Co., for the Portland Architectural Club, 1909.
Type
Image
Format
image/jpeg
Set
Building Oregon
Primary Set
Building Oregon
Institution
University of Oregon
Note
This image is included in Building Oregon: Architecture of Oregon and the Pacific Northwest, a digital collection which provides documentation about the architectural heritage of the Pacific Northwest.