Building Oregon

New Market Annex (Portland, Oregon)

New
Title
New Market Annex (Portland, Oregon)
LC Subject
Architecture, American Architecture--United States
Alternative
New Market West (Portland, Oregon)
Creator
McCaw & Martin McCaw, William F. Martin, Richard H., Jr. Thompson, David P.
Photographer
Shellenbarger, Michael
Creator Display
McCaw & Martin (architecture firm, 1889-1898) William Frederick McCaw (architect, 1850-?) Richard H. Martin, Jr. (architect, 1858-1950)
Description
This image is included in Building Oregon: Architecture of Oregon and the Pacific Northwest, a digital collection which provides documentation about the architectural heritage of the Pacific Northwest.
View
exterior: view of stone window architrave
Provenance
Design Library, University of Oregon Libraries
Temporal
1880-1889
Style Period
Shingle Style
Work Type
architecture (object genre) built works views (visual works) exterior views facilities, commercial mercantiles (buildings) storage facilities warehouses office buildings
Latitude
45.522275
Longitude
-122.672375
Location
Portland >> Clackamas County >> Oregon >> Pacific Northwest Multnomah County >> Oregon >> Pacific Northwest Oregon >> Pacific Northwest United States
Street Address
59 Southwest 2nd Avenue
Date
1889
View Date
1985
Identifier
pna_15709.jpg
Item Locator
Shellenbarger Collection, N:O:10 99-10958
Rights Holder
University of Oregon
License
Creative Commons: Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International
Source
Gift of Michael Shellenbarger
Type
Image
Format
image/jpeg
Set
Building Oregon
Primary Set
Building Oregon
Is Part Of
New Market Block (Portland, Oregon)
Institution
University of Oregon
Note
New Market Annex was built in 1889 as an annex to the New Market Theater. In the 1980s it served briefly as a retail mall called New Market Village. In 1990, part of the building became home to the Housing Authority of Portland. McCaw & Martin was one of Portland's most prominent architectural firms during the last years of the 19th century. Among their most notable works are the Dr. K. A. J. Mackenzie house (1892), the Dekum Building (1892), the Haseltine Building (1893), and West Hall, University of Portland (1891).