Building Oregon

United States Custom House (Portland, Oregon)

Title
United States Custom House (Portland, Oregon)
LC Subject
Architecture, American Architecture--United States
Alternative
U. S. Custom House (Portland, Oregon) United States Customs House (Portland, Oregon) United States Customhouse (Portland, Oregon) U. S. Customhouse (Portland, Oregon)
Creator
Taylor, James Knox Lazarus, Edgar M.
Creator Display
James Knox Taylor (architect, 1857-1929) Edgar Marks Lazarus (construction superintendent, 1868-1939)
Description
National Register of Historic Places (Listed, 1973)
View
exterior: view in 1904
Provenance
Design Library, University of Oregon Libraries
Temporal
1940-1949
Work Type
architecture (object genre) built works views (visual works) exterior views public buildings government office buildings customhouses
Location
Eugene >> Lane County >> Oregon >> West >> United States Lane County >> Oregon >> West >> United States Oregon >> West >> United States United States
Date
1898/1901
Identifier
pna_23549
Rights
In Copyright - Educational Use Permitted
Rights Holder
Oregon State Historic Preservation Office
Type
Image
Format
image/tiff
Set
Building Oregon
Primary Set
Building Oregon
Institution
University of Oregon
Citation
National Register of Historic Places, http://www.nps.gov/nr/
Note
The U. S. Custom House was designed and built by the Office of Supervising Architect of the United States Treasury. James Knox Taylor was head of the office from October 1897 until July 1912. Edgar M. Lazarus was the local architect in Portland designated as superintendent of construction for this work. An article in the Morning Oregonian, March 3, 1898, confirms that plans for the building were ready before Lazarus was hired for his supervisory role. Teague, Edward H. "Introducing Edgar Lazarus, The Architect of Vista House," Vista House Views, FOVH Newsletter, Spring 2011, p. 1-2, 7, 9, 10-11. This image was included in the documentation to support a nomination to the National Register of Historic Places, a program of the National Park Service. The image is provided here by the Oregon State Historic Preservation Office and the University of Oregon Libraries to facilitate scholarship, research, and teaching. For other uses, such as publication, contact the State Historic Preservation Office. Please credit the Oregon State Historic Preservation Office when using this image.