Building Oregon

Public Service Building and Garage (Portland, Oregon)

Title
Public Service Building and Garage (Portland, Oregon)
LC Subject
Architecture, American Architecture--United States
Alternative
Pacific Power and Light Company (Portland, Oregon)
Creator
Doyle, Patterson, and Beach (architectural firm, 1911-1914) Doyle, Albert E. Beach, James G. Patterson, William B. Greene, Charles K. N. Clark & Son
Photographer
Ross, Marion Dean
Creator Display
Doyle, Patterson & Beach (architecture firm, 1911-1913) Albert Ernest Doyle (architect, 1877-1928) Charles Kerwin Greene (architect, 1888-1953) William B. Patterson (construction superintendent) James G. Beach (engineer) N. Clark & Son (terra cotta firm)
Description
National Register of Historic Places (Listed, 1996)
View
exterior
Provenance
Design Library, University of Oregon Libraries
Temporal
1920-1929
Work Type
architecture (object genre) built works views (visual works) exterior views facilities, commercial office buildings
Latitude
45.517507
Longitude
-122.679325
Location
Portland >> Washington County Multnomah County >> Oregon >> Pacific Northwest Oregon >> Pacific Northwest United States
Street Address
920 Southwest 6th Avenue
Date
1928
View Date
1973-05-18
Identifier
pna_07198
Item Locator
mdr08191
Rights
Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International
Rights Holder
University of Oregon
Source
Gift of Wallace K. Huntington from the estate of Marion Dean Ross
Type
Image
Format
image/tiff
Material
terra cotta, brick
Set
Building Oregon
Primary Set
Building Oregon
Institution
University of Oregon
Note
The Public Service Building was constructed to house the offices of the utilities, Portland Gas and Coke Company and the Pacific Light and Power Company, hence the building's name reflected these "public services". From 1928-1958, the Public Service Building was Portland's tallest building. The roof was originally red tile with neon letters on each side spelling GAS, POWER, HEAT, and LIGHT. The roof and signage were replaced in 1983 by a metal roof. Renovations occured in 1957, 1973, and 1999. The 1957 renovation increased the building's wings to 12 floors.