Building Oregon

Neighborhood House (Portland, Oregon)

Title
Neighborhood House (Portland, Oregon)
LC Subject
Architecture, American Architecture--United States
Alternative
National Council of Jewish Women House (Portland, Oregon) Cedarwood Waldorf School (Portland, Oregon) Indochinese Cultural and Service Center (Portland, Oregon)
Creator
Doyle, Albert E. A. E. Doyle & Associates
Creator Display
Albert Ernest Doyle (architect, 1877-1928) A. E. Doyle & Associates (architecture firm, 1915-1928)
Description
National Register of Historic Places (Listed, 1979)
View
exterior: detail, cornice.
Provenance
Design Library, University of Oregon Libraries
Temporal
1910-1919
Style Period
Georgian Revival
Work Type
architecture (object genre) built works views (visual works) exterior views community centers welfare buildings settlement houses
Latitude
45.501266
Longitude
-122.679468
Location
Portland >> Clackamas County >> Oregon >> West >> United States Multnomah County >> Oregon >> West >> United States Oregon >> West >> United States United States
Street Address
3030 Southwest 2nd Avenue
Date
1910
Identifier
pna_06036
Item Locator
726 AmO P83p N316 03; 87-07473;
Rights
Educational Use Permitted
Source
Oregon State Historic Preservation Office, http://www.oregon.gov/OPRD/HCD/SHPO/
Type
Image
Format
image/tiff
Material
brick; terra cotta
Set
Building Oregon
Primary Set
Building Oregon
Institution
University of Oregon
Note
Neighborhood House was built for the National Council of Jewish Women as a settlement home for European immigrants. The building was used for English and other classes, and housed a gymnasium and library. By 1915, it housed a clinic and neighborhood newspaper. During World War II, the building became a United Services Organization center and used for entertainment. The building was leased to Neighborhood House Incorporated, a United Way agency, from 1952 to 1979. From 1952 to 1979, it was leased to Neighborhood House Inc., a United Way agency. In 1979, the building became the headquarters for the Indochinese Cultural and Service Center. The Young Mens Christian Association used the site for day care and other activities in the 1990s. In 2000, the Neighborhood House was purchased by the Cedarwood Waldorf School.