Building Oregon

Bank of Echo (Echo, Oregon)

Title
Bank of Echo (Echo, Oregon)
LC Subject
Architecture, American Architecture--United States
Creator
Parker & Banfield
Creator Display
Parker & Banfield (builder/contractor)
Description
This work was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on April 15, 1982.
View
exterior: front fa?ade
Provenance
Design Library, University of Oregon Libraries
Temporal
1920-1929
Style Period
Federal
Work Type
architecture (object genre) built works views (visual works) exterior views facilities, commercial financial institutions (buildings) banks (financial institutions)
Latitude
45.742335
Longitude
-119.195859
Location
City of Echo >> Oregon >> West >> United States Umatilla County >> Oregon >> West >> United States Oregon >> West >> United States United States
Street Address
230 West Main Street
Date
1921
Identifier
pna_01474
Item Locator
VRC Slide 726 AmO Ec44 7B-1; 87-08014
Rights
Educational Use Permitted
Rights Holder
Oregon State Historic Preservation Office
Source
Oregon State Historic Preservation Office, http://www.oregon.gov/OPRD/HCD/SHPO/
Type
Image
Format
image/tiff
Material
concrete, brick, terra cotta
Set
Building Oregon
Primary Set
Building Oregon
Institution
University of Oregon
Citation
National Register of Historic Places, http://www.nps.gov/nr/
Note
This building was built in1920 a by Joseph Cunha and opened in 1921. It is an example of the Roman Classical style of the 20th century. Raymond W. Hatch designed the building. The exterior is glazed terra cotta and brick. The interior features marble flooring and iron-banking teller?s cages. The bank is now a museum. The bank as a business was incorporated in 1905 by local ranchers and in 1933, though still solvent, the founders closed the bank. Echo businessmen bragged that the bank survived the depression to be sold to First National Bank of Pendleton. The building was then used as a cash exchange and later as an insurance office. In 1980, Joseph C. Andrews purchased and donated the building to the Echo historical Museum, Inc. This image was included in the documentation to support a nomination to the National Register of Historic Places, a program of the National Park Service. The image is provided here by the Oregon State Historic Preservation Office and the University of Oregon Libraries to facilitate scholarship, research, and teaching. For other uses, such as publication, contact the State Historic Preservation Office. Please credit the Oregon State Historic Preservation Office when using this image.