Building Oregon

Ahavai Sholom Synagogue (Portland, Oregon)

Title
Ahavai Sholom Synagogue (Portland, Oregon)
LC Subject
Architecture, American Architecture--United States
Alternative
Ahavai Shalom Synagogue (Portland, Oregon) First Evangelical Church Youth Center (Portland, Oregon) First Christian Church Community Center (Portland, Oregon)
Creator
Lazarus, Edgar M.
Photographer
Ross, Marion Dean
Creator Display
Edgar Marks Lazarus (architect, 1868-1939)
Description
This image is included in Building Oregon: Architecture of Oregon and the Pacific Northwest, a digital collection which provides documentation about the architectural heritage of the Pacific Northwest.
View
exterior: view, 1960
Provenance
Design Library, University of Oregon Libraries
Temporal
1900-1909
Work Type
architecture (object genre) built works views (visual works) exterior views ceremonial structures religious buildings synagogues (buildings)
Location
Portland >> Clackamas County >> Oregon >> West >> United States Multnomah County >> Oregon >> West >> United States Oregon >> West >> United States United States
Street Address
Southwest Park Avenue and Clay Street
Date
1904
View Date
1960
Identifier
pna_06300
Rights
Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International
Rights Holder
University of Oregon
Source
Gift of Wallace K. Huntington from the estate of Marion Dean Ross
Type
Image
Format
image/tiff
Set
Building Oregon
Primary Set
Building Oregon
Institution
University of Oregon
Note
The synagogue was dedicated on September 4, 1904. According to the Morning Oregonian, August 28, 1904: "The buidling is erected from the plans of Edgar M. Lazarus at a cost of $35,000, and the design is in perfect keeping with the purpose of the struccture. The dedication ceremonies will be interesting and in ancient form, including the circuits with the scrolls of the law and the lighting of the perpetual light. An address will be delivered by D. Solis Cohen, and Dr. Stephen S. Wise, rabbi of the Beth Israel congregation, will preach the dedication sermon." The congregation moved to a new location in 1952 and sold this building. It was used over the next several years by the First Christian Church as a community center, a gymnasium for Portland State University, and for Sunday School classes. The historic structure was demolished in 1978 as part of an urban renewal project. Teague, Edward H. "Introducing Edgar Lazarus, The Architect of Vista House," Vista House Views, FOVH Newsletter, Spring 2011, p. 1-2, 7, 9, 10-11.