Building Oregon

Campbell, David, Memorial (Portland, Oregon)

Campbell,
Title
Campbell, David, Memorial (Portland, Oregon)
LC Subject
Architecture, American Architecture--United States
Alternative
Portland Firefighters' Memorial (Portland, Oregon)
Creator
Fairbanks, Avard T. Cret, Paul
Creator Display
Avard Tennyson Fairbanks (artist, 1897-1987) Paul Philippe Cret (architect, 1876-1945)
Description
National Register of Historic Places (Listed, 2010)
View
East elevation, camera facing west
Temporal
1920-1929
Style Period
Beaux-Arts (style)
Work Type
architecture (object genre) built works views (visual works) exterior views sculpture (visual work) outdoor sculpture public sculpture memorials (structures) water features (landscaping) fountains
Latitude
45.522892
Longitude
-122.689401
Location
Portland >> Clackamas County >> Oregon >> Pacific Northwest Multnomah County >> Oregon >> Pacific Northwest Oregon >> Pacific Northwest United States
Street Address
1800 West Burnside Street
Date
1928
View Date
2010
Identifier
pna_21832
Rights
Educational Use Permitted
Rights Holder
Oregon State Historic Preservation Office
Source
Oregon State Historic Preservation Office, http://www.oregon.gov/OPRD/HCD/SHPO/
Type
Image
Format
image/tiff
Material
limestone, slate, bronze
Set
Building Oregon
Primary Set
Building Oregon
Institution
University of Oregon
Citation
Campbell, David, Memorial, National Register of Historic Places Registration Form
Note
The David Campbell Memorial was dedicated in 1928 in honor of Portland Fire Chief David Campbell who perished fighting a fire. A beloved citizen and admired firefighter and public official, Campbell served as the city’s fire chief between 1893 and his death in 1917 and was widely credited with modernizing and professionalizing the City’s Fire Department. Funded by a local trust, the memorial was created by nationally-recognized French-born master architect Paul Cret who created in Campbell’s honor a distinct Beaux-Arts style monument, a popular style from 1900 through the 1920s. The design, suitably subdued yet grand, is constructed of limestone and consists of a fountain, pool, and a bronze sculpture on a triangular terrace lined with benches. The composition incorporates stylistic elements from Greek and Roman architecture, including pilasters, a pediment, scrolls, and an aegicranium (ram’s head). Above the fountain is an architectural frame inset with a bronze bas-relief of Campbell sculpted by Avard Fairbanks, noted American sculptor of the first half of the twentieth century. Fairbanks taught sculpture at the University of Oregon in Eugene from 1920 to 1927 and was well-known for his realistic depictions of the human form and animals. This image was included in the documentation to support a nomination to the National Register of Historic Places, a program of the National Park Service. The image is provided here by the Oregon State Historic Preservation Office and the University of Oregon Libraries to facilitate scholarship, research, and teaching. For other uses, such as publication, contact the State Historic Preservation Office. Please credit the Oregon State Historic Preservation Office when using this image.