Building Oregon

Springfield Motors Buick Dealership (Springfield, Oregon)

Title
Springfield Motors Buick Dealership (Springfield, Oregon)
LC Subject
Architecture, American Architecture--United States
Description
National Register of Historic Places (Listed, 2011)
View
exterior: Detail of sign at the southwest corner with aluminum storefront and neon sign.
Provenance
Design Library, University of Oregon Libraries
Temporal
1940-1949
Style Period
Art Deco
Work Type
architecture (object genre) built works views (visual works) exterior views office buildings facilities, commercial showroom automobile showrooms
Location
Springfield >> Lane County >> Oregon >> West >> United States Lane County >> Oregon >> West >> United States Oregon >> West >> United States United States
Street Address
702 North A Street
Date
1949
View Date
2009-04
Identifier
pna_23147
Rights
Educational Use Permitted
Rights Holder
Oregon State Historic Preservation Office
Source
Oregon State Historic Preservation Office, Oregon State Historic Preservation Office, http://www.oregon.gov/OPRD/HCD/SHPO/
Type
Image
Format
image/tiff
Set
Building Oregon
Primary Set
Building Oregon
Institution
University of Oregon
Citation
National Register of Historic Places, http://www.nps.gov/nr/
Note
The Springfield Motors Buick Dealership was recently listed in the National Register as Springfield’s best and most well-preserved example of Streamline Moderne commercial architecture and for its association with the development of transportation during the post-World War II period. The dealership was the first new automobile franchise built in the city during the postwar era and was designed using pattern books published by Buick and General Motors during the late 1940s. Built by Gustave J. DeVos in 1949 using local materials and labor to help improve the economy in the area, the white stucco building is characterized by a curved corner with large glass windows with an original neon sign with the business name. The building was originally leased long-term to Clarence L. Scherer who managed the dealership, and it remains in the Scherer family today who continues operating it as a Buick dealership. This image was included in the documentation to support a nomination to the National Register of Historic Places, a program of the National Park Service. The image is provided here by the Oregon State Historic Preservation Office and the University of Oregon Libraries to facilitate scholarship, research, and teaching. For other uses, such as publication, contact the State Historic Preservation Office. Please credit the Oregon State Historic Preservation Office when using this image.