Building Oregon

Patterson, A. W., House (Eugene, Oregon), Animal House (Eugene, Oregon)

Title
Patterson, A. W., House (Eugene, Oregon) Animal House (Eugene, Oregon)
LC Subject
Architecture, American Architecture--United States
Alternative
A. W. Patterson House (Eugene, Oregon) Doctor A. W. Patterson House (Eugene, Oregon)
Description
This image is included in Building Oregon: Architecture of Oregon and the Pacific Northwest, a digital collection which provides documentation about the architectural heritage of the Pacific Northwest.
View
exterior
Provenance
Design Library, University of Oregon Libraries
Temporal
1900-1909
Work Type
architecture (object genre) built works views (visual works) exterior views dwellings houses sets (theatrical)
Latitude
44.047799
Longitude
-123.081044
Location
Eugene >> Lane County >> Oregon >> West >> United States Lane County >> Oregon >> West >> United States Oregon >> West >> United States United States
Street Address
751 East 11th Avenue
Date
1903
View Date
1985-08-12
Identifier
pna_21221
Item Locator
mdr02256
Rights
In Copyright
Rights Holder
University of Oregon
Source
Oregon State Historic Preservation Office
Type
Image
Format
image/tiff
Set
Building Oregon
Primary Set
Building Oregon
Institution
University of Oregon
Note
The house starred in the movie Animal House in 1978 (Internet Movie Database, http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077975/). The house was demolished in 1986. A site at the property reads: SITE OF THE HOME OF A.W. AND AMANDA PATTERSON. HE WAS A PIONEER LANE COUNTY DOCTOR AND SURVEYER WHO PLATTED A GREATER PART OF EUGENE. IN 1853, PATTERSON WAS ALSO A MEMBER OF THE OREGON LEGISLATURE AND WAS INSTRUMENTAL IN ESTABLISHING THE UNIVERSITY OF OREGON. AMANDA PATTERSON CAME ACROSS THE GREAT PLAINS IN THE FIRST WAGON TRAIN OF 1843. THEIR DAUGHTER, IDA, WAS A EUGENE SCHOOL PRINCIPAL. IN THE 1950S AND 1960S THE HOUSE WAS USED BY A FRATERNITY AND POPULARIZED IN THE LATE 1970S BY THE FILM "ANIMAL HOUSE".