Building Oregon

Smithson & McKay Brothers Block (Portland, Oregon)

Title
Smithson & McKay Brothers Block (Portland, Oregon)
LC Subject
Architecture, American Architecture--United States
Alternative
Smithson Block (Portland, Oregon)
Photographer
Towne
Description
This image is included in Building Oregon: Architecture of Oregon and the Pacific Northwest, a digital collection which provides documentation about the architectural heritage of the Pacific Northwest.
View
exterior: view of Smithson Block, Albina neighborhood of Portland
Provenance
Design Library, University of Oregon Libraries
Temporal
1890-1899
Style Period
Italianate (North American architecture styles ) Romanesque Revival
Work Type
architecture (object genre) built works views (visual works) exterior views facilities, commercial mercantiles (buildings) stores architectural drawings (visual works)
Latitude
45.540979
Longitude
-122.666451
Location
Portland >> Clackamas County >> Oregon >> Pacific Northwest Multnomah County >> Oregon >> Pacific Northwest Oregon >> Pacific Northwest United States
Street Address
921-929 North Russell Street
Date
1890
Identifier
pna_20536
Rights Holder
University of Oregon
License
Creative Commons: Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International
Source
Oregonian's Handbook of the Pacific Northwest. Portland: Lewis & Drayton, 1894.
Type
Image
Format
image/tiff
Material
brick; cast stone
Set
Building Oregon
Primary Set
Building Oregon
Institution
University of Oregon
Note
"Among the handsome structures of that part of consolidatecl Portland known as Albina, the Smithson block, erected by A. J. Smithson in 1892, merits special mention. The material used in the construction of this fine building was preeeed brick. The interior finishing is in larch. The building is three stories high and presents an attractive appearance. The ground floor is divided into 8 five stotes. The corner and adjoining store 1 are occupied by L. Blumenthal & Co., clothiers. The next two stores are occupied by the Oregon Mercantile Company, wholesale and retail grocery and crockery dealers, while the fifth store is taken by the Delmonico restaurant. The upper stories contain 54 rooms, divided into suites. These rooms are handsomely furnished, lighted by electricity and supplied with the purest of water. The location is a convenient one, even for those who have business on the West Side, as it is reached by electric cars and by free ferry which connects Albina with Portland proper." Source: Oregonian's Handbook. proper.