Building Oregon

Carson Hall, University of Oregon (Eugene, Oregon)

Title
Carson Hall, University of Oregon (Eugene, Oregon)
LC Subject
Architecture, American Architecture--United States
Alternative
University of Oregon (Eugene, Oregon) Women's Dormitory, University of Oregon (Eugene, Oregon)
Creator
Lawrence & Lawrence (Portland, Or.) Lawrence, Ellis Fuller Lawrence, H. Abbott
Photographer
Ross, Marion Dean
Creator Display
Lawrence & Lawrence (architecture firm, 1944-1946) Ellis Fuller Lawrence (architect, 1879-1946) Henry Abbott Lawrence (architect, 1906-1967)
Description
This image is included in Building Oregon: Architecture of Oregon and the Pacific Northwest, a digital collection which provides documentation about the architectural heritage of the Pacific Northwest.
View
exterior
Provenance
Design Library, University of Oregon Libraries
Temporal
1940-1949
Work Type
architecture (object genre) built works views (visual works) exterior views universities (buildings) dwellings dormitories (buildings)
Latitude
44.045429
Longitude
-123.070533
Location
Eugene >> Lane County >> Oregon >> West >> United States Lane County >> Oregon >> West >> United States Oregon >> West >> United States United States
Street Address
1450 East 13th Avenue
Date
1949
View Date
1960-10-16
Identifier
pna_13927
Item Locator
mdr02473
Rights
Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International
Rights Holder
University of Oregon
Source
Gift of Wallace K. Huntington from the estate of Marion Dean Ross
Type
Image
Format
image/tiff
Set
Building Oregon
Primary Set
Building Oregon
Is Part Of
University of Oregon (Eugene, Oregon)
Institution
University of Oregon
Citation
Guide to the Ellis Fuller Lawrence Papers , Northwest Digital Archives, http://nwda-db.wsulibs.wsu.edu/findaid/ark:/80444/xv35243 Ellis Lawrence Building Survey, https://scholarsbank.uoregon.edu/dspace/handle/1794/2150 University of Oregon Heritage Landscape Plan, http://uplan.uoregon.edu/projects/HLP_website/hlpsurveyofbldgs.htm
Note
This five-story brick building was constructed as part of a $6 million post-war building program. Named for Luella Clay Carson, Professor of English and Elocution (1888-1909) and Dean of Women (1895-1909), the building was acclaimed as an innovative approach to student housing. Design work began in Feb 1945 and construction ended in Jan 1949. According to the Ellis Lawrence Building Survey, Ellis F. Lawrence approved the preliminary design which was accepted a few days before his death.