Marion Weatherford, left, a prominent Gilliam County wheat rancher, discusses the merits of trashy fallow with Art King, right, OSC Extension soils specialist, at the Gilliam County Soil Conservation Field Day.
Photo was used in the Summer 1956 Oregon Stater. Norbert Wellman graduated with a bachelor's and master's degree in physical education in 1954 and 1958. Wellman was the starting pitcher on the first Beaver baseball team to make it to the College World Series in 1952. Wellman was president of the OSU Foundation Board and participated in the fundraising committee for Goss Stadium. Wellman received the Lifetime Trustee Award in 2007 and is co-founder of Ferguson Wellman Capital Management.
Wesley Foundation members on steps of Corvallis First Methodist Church. Front row: Mel Anderson, Tom Riggs, Jesse Bunch (pastor of First Methodist Church), and Dr S.M. Zeller. Middle row: Gladys Beckendorf; Cleo Wakefield, and Maxine Broehl. Back row: Carol Thornton and Sybil Tucker (Director of Student Activities/Direct or Religious Education). Published in 1945 Beaver yearbook, p. 190.
Bobby Hill, president of the Black Student Union, and University President Robert MacVicar prepare to cut the ribbon, officially opening OSU's Black Cultural Center. Looking on is Betty Griffin, assistant professor of education and chairperson of the Black Cultural Advisory Board. Photo was in the Oregon Stater issue, June 1975, vol.9 no.4, p. 4.
Both organizations were service honorary societies for sophomores – Talons for women and Thanes for men. The organizations were created in the 1930s (Talons in 1933 and Thanes in 1937) from previously established groups. Their original focus was to ensure that freshman students upheld OSC’s traditions. Over time, both organizations focused more on service, and in the late 1960s their constitutions were changed to reflect their service emphasis.
Walter S. Brown was an Oregon State College faculty member from 1913-1942. Brown was the first Extension Horticulturalist and became the head of the Horticulture department in 1920. Brown was an expert on fruits and vegetables native to the Northwest.
The Hatfield Marine Science Center Library was named as a memorial to Marilyn Potts Guin who served as the Marine Science Center's first Librarian from September 1976 until her death in December 1989. The Library was dedicated on July 4th, 1990.