Marion Weatherford, left, a prominent Gilliam County wheat rancher, discusses the merits of trashy fallow with Art King, right, OSC Extension soils specialist, at the Gilliam County Soil Conservation Field Day.
Photo was used in the Summer 1956 Oregon Stater. Norbert Wellman graduated with a bachelor's and master's degree in physical education in 1954 and 1958. Wellman was the starting pitcher on the first Beaver baseball team to make it to the College World Series in 1952. Wellman was president of the OSU Foundation Board and participated in the fundraising committee for Goss Stadium. Wellman received the Lifetime Trustee Award in 2007 and is co-founder of Ferguson Wellman Capital Management.
Wesley Foundation members on steps of Corvallis First Methodist Church. Front row: Mel Anderson, Tom Riggs, Jesse Bunch (pastor of First Methodist Church), and Dr S.M. Zeller. Middle row: Gladys Beckendorf; Cleo Wakefield, and Maxine Broehl. Back row: Carol Thornton and Sybil Tucker (Director of Student Activities/Direct or Religious Education). Published in 1945 Beaver yearbook, p. 190.
Bobby Hill, president of the Black Student Union, and University President Robert MacVicar prepare to cut the ribbon, officially opening OSU's Black Cultural Center. Looking on is Betty Griffin, assistant professor of education and chairperson of the Black Cultural Advisory Board. Photo was in the Oregon Stater issue, June 1975, vol.9 no.4, p. 4.
Both organizations were service honorary societies for sophomores – Talons for women and Thanes for men. The organizations were created in the 1930s (Talons in 1933 and Thanes in 1937) from previously established groups. Their original focus was to ensure that freshman students upheld OSC’s traditions. Over time, both organizations focused more on service, and in the late 1960s their constitutions were changed to reflect their service emphasis.
Walter S. Brown was an Oregon State College faculty member from 1913-1942. Brown was the first Extension Horticulturalist and became the head of the Horticulture department in 1920. Brown was an expert on fruits and vegetables native to the Northwest.
The Hatfield Marine Science Center Library was named as a memorial to Marilyn Potts Guin who served as the Marine Science Center's first Librarian from September 1976 until her death in December 1989. The Library was dedicated on July 4th, 1990.
The pyramid play, used in blocking kicks, originated as a prank at an OAC football practice, according to Bill Tomsheck, a player on the 1933 football team. To the amazement of the pranksters, the play worked. It did not escape Coach Lon Stiner's attention and subsequently it developed into an authorized play. The play consisted of hoisting the 6'5" center, Clyde Devine, onto the shoulders of 6'2" tackles Harry Fields and Ade Schwammel, from which point he could reach out and knock down any ball headed for the goal posts. The first official use of the play was successfully executed against the University of Oregon in Multnomah Stadium (now Civic Stadium) in Portland. According to Tomsheck, "In that era of college football, a place kick was infrequent. We had no audible signal to call this defensive play. When an opponent went into a place kicking formation, eye contact or the nod of the head was all that was necessary." This photograph of the first official attempt was made by Oregon Journal photographer, Ralph Vincent. It was not until the film was developed that Vincent realized he had recorded history. The photograph was published in the Saturday Evening Post and the play became nationally renowned. For the remainder of the season, the OAC players reproduced it for the media in railroad stations, on the street, at hotels, and during practice sessions. The Pyramid was banned by the NCAA rules committee within a year.
The 16 foot by 5 foot cottonseed cake self feeder was used by Joe Oliver, John Day, Oregon. The feeder holds more than 1 ton and is filled through a hinged board in the roof. Note deep overhang to prevent snow and rain from wetting the cake.
Coeds with "Ol John" Hines read mail. From left to right: Janice Cady; Unknown person; John Hines; Kay Seberg; Margaret Krebs; Marge Anderson. During World War II, John Hines received letters, pictures and samples of foreign money from Oregon State students, alumni and faculty serving all over the world.
Forestry graduate students and faculty, 1932. Seated (l to r): Fred Schreiner (Instructor in Logging Engineering), H.R. ("Pat") Patterson (Professor of Logging Engineering), Dean George W. Peavy, T.J. Starker (Professor of Forestry), and Richard S. Kearns (graduate student and Assistant in Forest Products). Standing (l to r): William J. Baker (Assistant Professor of Lumber Manufacture), Harry Fowells (graduate student), Merle S. Lowden (graduate student), and Vern H. McDaniel (graduate student and Forest Nurseryman).
Pacific Northwest Water Laboratory Dedication: Dale Mallicoat, Fred Merryfield, Cy Everts, James H. Jensen, A. L. Strand. August LeRoy Strand served as president of Oregon State University from 1942-1961. Strand helped create the Oregon State College Foundation in 1947 and introduced the idea of an OSU golf course.
View of campus buildings. From left to right: old dorm (1917 war); Poultry Building (formerly Horticulture); Brooder House; Cauthorn Hall (later Kidder, then Fairbanks); Farm crops (later became Agricultural Engineering); Peck Residence (Wilson moved from Bandstand area); Forestry Building.
Seated (left to right): H. I. Nettleton, J. R. Dilworth, W. F. McCulloch, George H. Barnes, W. A. Davies, H. R. Patterson, W. I. West. Standing (left to right): R. F. Keniston, R. L. Wilson, M. D. McKimmy, J. T. Krygier, T. C. Adams, D. D. Robinson, C. W. Dane, R. M. Malcolm, Ray A. Yoder, W. P. Wheeler, Antone C. Van Vliet, Warren R. Randall.
The Tech Record, the campus engineering magazine, was published four times each year. It contained articles by students in engineering as well as professional information. Editor for 1942 was Bill Filmore. Front row: John Hesse, Gilbert Quinby, Bob Lundeen, S. H. Graf, Ira G. Dillon, Bill Fillmore, Ed Lind. Second row: Bill Wilson, Edward Shields, Ralph McCugh, Rod Bland, Bob Clarke, Jack Lundeen. Third row: Eugene Ash, Paul D. Cjristenson, Gordon Green, Walter Hough, Boyd Handelin, William S. Milne. Photo was used in the 1942 Beaver Yearbook, page 136.
Michael Newton was a professor for the Department of Forest Science. Newton received his M.S. from OSU in 1960 and Ph.D. in 1964. Newton's focuses of interest include herbicides, reforestation, and forest ecology.
A. L. Strand sitting on left. August LeRoy Strand served as president of Oregon State University from 1942-1961. Strand helped create the Oregon State College Foundation in 1947 and introduced the idea of an OSU golf course.
Governor Robert D. Holmes, issues the 1958 Urban League Week proclamation to Urban League's Executive Director William H. Boone, right, and President George D. Dysart. April 21-27 had been set aside in proclamations issued by the Governor and by Portland's Mayor Terry Schrunk, in observance of the 13th anniversary of the local race relations agency.
Credit was a 1990 OSU graduate in music education. Three years earlier, he performed at the groundbreaking ceremony for the building expansion. Credit has performed professionally in many musicals, most notably in Broadway productions of Porgy and Bess and Showboat. He also performed at President Obama’s inauguration and was the featured guest artist during the Jazz at Lincoln Center’s Centennial Celebration of Duke Ellington.
Official door opening of the Memorial Union during Homecoming on November 17, 1928; Readers from the left are Tony Schille, 1922; Warren Daigh, 1919; President William J. Kerr and Cyril Brownell, President of the Alumni Association.
The Memorial Union site was dedicated in 1926. Ground was broken for the Memorial Union in June, 1927 and the building opened for use less than 18 months later on Homecoming, November 17, 1928. It was formally dedicated on June 1, 1929 "in memory of the heroic dead who gave their lives in their country's wars."
The photo was taken at the Pacific Northwest Water Laboratory Dedication: showing (from left to right) unidentified person, Cy Everts, and James H. Jensen. James H. Jensen served as President of Oregon State University from 1961-1969. Within these eight years, Jensen expanded OSU faculty and facilities significantly and founded the 25 Year Club, which recognized employees who have worked at OSU for 25 years.
President A.L. Strand dedicating the W.J. Kerr Library. August LeRoy Strand served as president of Oregon State University from 1942-1961. Strand helped create the Oregon State College Foundation in 1947 and introduced the idea of an OSU golf course.
Donald Robinson, Hazen Sandwick, Keith Chamberlain, Wilbur Travis, Ivan Weikel, Arnold Ebert, Henry Scott and Irwin Krenke returned to campus to celebrate a 50th anniversary of their 5,500 mile trip to Chicago for the World's Fair. They were Agricultural Engineering students when they made the trip.
"Ol" John's picture gallery in the MU shoe shine shop. On the day that this photo was taken three alumni visited John Hines and looked at his bulletin board featuring pictures of men in service throughout the world, including fighter pilot, Marion Carl (just above John's finger) When John left OSC in 1946 he had accumulated more than 3000 images, most of which were given to the Alumni Association. Photo was used on cover of the Oregon Stater, March 1944.
Thomas H. Cody and Thomas H. Cody, Jr., graduates of the Oregon State College School of Forestry, are standing by the highwheeler during the annual Fernhopper banquet at Peavy Arboretum in the McDonald Research Forest. The Fernhopper Banquets brought together past graduates of the School of Forestry.
Margaret Fincke, Home Economics faculty member, is doing nutritional research. Margaret Fincke came to OSU in 1935 and became the head of the Foods and Nutrition department in 1944. Fincke served as Acting Dean from 1948-1949 and 1963-1965.
Home Game, Ralph O. Coleman served the longest tenure of any coach in Beaver baseball history--35 seasons from 1923-1966. His teams were 561-315 with 10 Northern Division titles and a berth in the 1952 College World Series. Coming to Oregon Agricultural College as a student from Canby High, Coleman pitched for OAC in 1918. His main interest was track and field, though, and Coleman lettered three years as a standout trackman for the Beavers before trying baseball his senior year.