A. B. Cordley joined the faculty of Oregon Agricultural College in 1895 as Professor of Zoology and Entomology. He became the first Dean of the School of Agriculture in 1908, a position he held until his retirement in 1931. Cordley worked as an entomologist at Michigan Agricultural College, the Vermont Experiment Station, and the U.S. Department of Agriculture before moving to Oregon. A native of Michigan, Cordley earned his BS degree at Michigan Agricultural College.
The back brick portion of the building was the original wing of Mechanical Hall, constructed in 1889. The front wood frame section was an addition from 1893-94. The addition housed the college's first gymnasium.
Ralph Dorn Hetzel was a professor of English and Political Science before serving as the Director of the Extension Division. Hetzel spent 12 years as a faculty member at Oregon State College. He later served as president of the University of New Hampshire (1916-1926) and Penn State University (1926-1947).
Flume for carrying lumber from sawmill to shipping point near Marys River in Philomath, Oregon. The bridge structure to the left of the flume trestle is part of the former Marys River covered bridge. Original photo is at the Benton County Historical Museum in Philomath, Oregon.