John Finley Hinds, known as "Ol' John," ran a shoeshine parlor in the Memorial Union during the 1930s and 1940s. He received letters, pictures and samples of foreign money from Oregon State students, alumni and faculty from all around the world.
The Associated Women Students (AWS) organization was established in 1924 for the purpose of furthering the educational, social and cultural aims of women. It served as an umbrella group for Oregon State’s women’s living groups, honorary societies and clubs. AWS sponsored a variety of activities, such as war bond and stamp fundraising drives during World War II. The Dean of Women served as the organization’s adviser and liaison to the college’s administration. The AWS became inactive in June 1970.
The large number of returning veterans after World War II created a severe shortage of student housing at OSC. As a temporary measure to alleviate part of the shortage, the college utilized part of the former Camp Adair military training cantonment to house returning veterans, many of whom were married. The Adair Village housing, which consisted of 326 units, opened in Fall 1946.
Wrought iron gates for the entrance to Oregon State College were constructed in Portland under the supervision of O. B. Dawson as a federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) project and completed in the late 1930s. A successful campaign was conducted in the spring of 1940 to raise $1500 for installation of the gates; the gates were installed at 10th and Madison in 1940 and dedicated in May 1941. In 1953, the gates were moved to 11th and Campus Way. Formerly the president of Oregon State College, William J. Kerr was retired by the time this presentation was made. Seated to Kerr's left are E. C. Sammons of the State Board of higher Education; Frederick M. Hunter, chancellor of the Oregon State System of Higher Education; and Albert D. Taylor, who developed Oregon State's 1926 and 1945 campus plans.